Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Hail Storm


Well yesterday was a sad day! We had this huge storm role in to our cute little town about 3 or 4 pm...at first it was a rain then it turned into a hard rain, then hail...the hail were all sizes, but the biggest I saw were as big as a nickel...it was crazy! Well at first I was like..."Oh Crap! The truck is not under the garage, it could get hail damage...then it was another 'Oh Crap' the garden!" I wasn't too worried about everything, but when the storm kept going and going, I knew there would be damage. I swear it hailed for a good hour or more. This weather so reminds me of Missouri! Anyway, luckly I had brought Buddy in so he wasn't damaged. But as soon as Buddy and I could...well we thought we could, we ventured out into the yard. It was still raining a bit, but rain never hurt anybody. Well at first I checked the truck and it was okay suprisingly...that hail was hard and it was coming down hard! I know...Buddy and I got hit a couple times while out checking for damages! Well I didn't dare go to the garden, but I did, I can't describe to you all how I felt...it was ruined...everything looked so hammered. What once was plants no longer looked like plants, all the leaves were knocked off the vines of everything...it really was a sad sight. The first thing I did was cried! Yup I cried...I have worked so hard in the garden and it has become my pride and joy...to have it taken so fast and not able to do anything was and is hard. But I did learn something from this experience. I started thinking about the pioneers and settlers and how they completely depended on their crops to survive. I just couldn't help but think about how devistated they would have been if this happened to them. They depended on their gardens and crops to feed them...I all the sudden became very grateful for the grocery store down the road, that I could walk to, and all the modern day conviniences we have in our lives today. Even though I may not get too much more out of the garden, Cody and I will still be able to eat through the winter. I learned a very big lesson yesterday...GRATITUDE! We are all so blessed to have what we have and to have opportunities to grow things in gardens. Made me think how really I am not in control of anything...and anything could happen at anytime in my life.
The Lord Giveth and the Lord Taketh Away! I wonder sometimes why, but there is always a bigger picture that we don't see.
I know I have gone on about what a sad day it was yesterday...but I learned something...and even it was only a garden I still learned a lot about life in general. Everything we have can be taken away...I don't want to waste another minute being ungrateful for all the things I have! That was the point I was trying to make through this whole post...GRATITUDE!

5 comments:

Mama said...

Oh, Wow, that is worth crying over. That is very sad!!! That is so amazing it could hail like that this time of year. All, I can say is Wow!!! I like your lesson learned though, thanks for sharing that, something to always think about. Love you tons!
Mama

Steph said...

Chel~ You would think we lived an hour away instead of 20 minutes. We got the rain, but no hail. I am so sorry! Your garden was AMAZING! And yummy! Thanks for sharing the lesson you got out of your day. Love you!

Cammee said...

What a great lesson, thanks! You don't know what constant work a garden is unless you've had one. Yours looked beautiful! Maybe some of it will still produce?

Jamie said...

When I first started reading this post I was thinking oh no not the garden! That's so sad. At least you took lots of good pictures before the storm. LOvE yOu GuYs!

Tara said...

I am so sorry. That is sad! I would have started crying. But you have a wonderful way of looking at everything. I wish I could be more like that. I hope your garden will be ok! Love ya